Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Adieu pt. II

Monday night I get ready for bed per normal. I stand brushing my teeth, the mirror reflecting my blood shot eyes and weary face: the sad shell of a person I had become since losing Guillaume.

JH pounds on the door “I THINK YOUR GOPHERS ARE HERE! OUR LANDLADY MUST HAVE BROUGHT THEM INSIDE THIS PACKAGE WAS SITTING ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE!!!!”

DROP MY TOOTHBRUSH ON THE FLOOR—WHAT????


Our hearts pounding we rip open the package right then and there.

Two furry heads, four beady eyes, I release the gophers from their cardboard prison.
The second I pulled them out though, I knew. These were different gophers. I look at the tag: “Prairie Dog, Made 2010.” I couldn’t live this lie any longer, I would have to fess up to losing Guillaume and move forward with his small furry burrowing cousin.

So after 6 hours of internet searching, lots of angry emails, perma-capslock, a solid hour at least on the previous blog post, and probably a year and a half off of my life due to stress and anxiety, I present to you Gilles-Marie and Geneviéve Margaux. They are twins. They may or may not actually be prairie dogs. Gilles has some sort of weird processing defect where it looks like he has a tiny moustache under his nose. I will keep him here with me and he will follow me on some of my early San Diego/ Lah Jahlla adventures.

I am sending you Geneviève. (I send her instead of Gilles for Darryl’s sake; to ensure a high girls:boys ratio in the lab at all times.) Please take better care of her than I did of Guillaume.

No comments:

Post a Comment